The bachelor's degree in Art with an Art Education concentration is designed to provide the student with knowledge and skills in the field of education.
The BFA in Art Education has the objective of educating the art teachers of the future. Students who follow this Major should meet the certification requirements established by the Department of Education in order to work as teachers in Puerto Rico. Two of these requirements are to maintain a 3:00 academic average in his/her field of specialization and to approve a certificate examination. This certificate authorizes its holder to work as a teacher of Visual Arts at elementary or secondary levels. In order to pursue this Major, the student must take a test and go through an interview. Another requirement of this field of study is to maintain a general academic average of 3:00.
Couse Description (PDF)
Course Sequence (PDF)
On finishing the program of studies students will:
- Be able to work as teachers using methodology and evaluation techniques.
- Have an awareness of the value of Art in society and its usefulness in education.
- Have knowledge of the philosophical, sociological, and psychological principles of education.
- Be able to develop the reading and writing skills of their students using pedagogical and art strategies.
- Be prepared to continue graduate studies in his or her specialty.
- Use quantitative and qualitative methods in classroom.
- Be certified as Teacher of the education system of Puerto Rico.
- Be able to use artistic techniques as learning tools.